Mustard (Brassica juncea )is an annual herb
cultivated as oil seed crop or as vegetable. They are pale yellow or white
mustard (Brassica hirta), brown mustard (Brassica juncea) and black mustard
(Brassica nigra). The brown, or oriental mustard (Brassica juncea), is of
Himalayan origin. The yellow/white mustard is indigenous to Southern Europe; the
black mustard is endemic in the Southern Mediterranean region. The white
mustard is widely cultivated in Australia, China, Chili, Denmark, Italy, Japan,
The UK, The Netherlands, North Africa, Canada and USA.
Mustard has featured in history and literature since early times. The use of mustard seeds as a spice has been known from the earliest recorded times and is described in Indian and Sumerian texts dating back to 3000 BC. Mustard plants are mentioned frequently in Greek and Roman writings and in the Bible.
Mustard is an indispensable ingredient in cooking.
- As a condiment, mustard is sold in three forms: as seeds, as dry powder that is freshly mixed with water for each serving to obtain the most aroma and flavor, and as a paste that is blended with other spices, vinegar or wine, and starch or flour to tone down the sharpness.
- The whole whit seeds are mainly used both for pickles and in the meat industry. The major processed products are mustard powder used in the manufacture of mayonnaise, dried or dehydrated mustard leaves, whole mustard seeds etc.
- Whole mustard is used as a flavoring agent in Indian cooking, whereas ground mustard provides flavor and consistency in Bengali fish curries.
- Mustard is a stimulant and it is used to relieve respiratory complaints and rheumatism. It stimulates the kidneys and is also given as a laxative and emetic.
- A gargle of mustard seed in hot water is helpful in the relief of sore throats and bronchitis. Bathing in a few spoonfuls of mustard powder is said to relieve muscular aches and pains. Mustard plasters were formerly used in medicine for their unique properties against chest colds.
- Product Code: GSSW3
- Availability: In Stock